This will be either the fourth or fifth time I’ve made a list like this. And it will be the first time in a long time that I’ve posted on this blog. My neglect hasn’t been one hundred percent on purpose. Several times I started writing posts that sit dormant in my drafts. Maybe I’ll finish them, though probably not.
But I will be turning twenty six and the last time I did one of these lists was when I turned twenty three (23+2) so it seemed appropriate. So without further or do:
Twenty Five Facts About Me
1. I have been in Baltimore for over two years now. And I’ve been finding myself more and more at home in this city that I sometimes call “The Poor Man’s Brooklyn”. And while I still feel myself growing into my adult life, I do not regret moving to this city, which was due to more of a collections of coincidence than anything else.
2. Any time I think of any where else on earth I’d rather live (realistically) I cannot think of any specific city or state. While if necessary, I probably could live elsewhere (so long it was in or close to a city of some sort), I don’t want to move somewhere else.
3. That being said, I would like to live in another country at least one more time in my life time. (Preferably before kids.)
4. I’ve become more thankful of my failures as of late. While some of them were incredibly painful and embarrassing, their scars are intrinsic to who I am as a person. And I’ve been finding that I (more or less) like that person. Don’t get me wrong, there’s still a lot of room for improvement. But I learn new things every day.
5. With encouragement from friends, I’ve started writing again. Like, really writing. I’m half-way through a story (over 30,000 words if you can believe it). It’s terrible. It’s the worst. No one is going to read it. At least, not until I can write the second draft. Which is becoming more and more possible every day. And while I yet to have any hopes so great as to be published, it feels good to write something with so much purpose.
6. I have struggled heavily with my looks. I’ve had to learn to block out well-meaning but hurtful comments and focus on my health.
7. I have pledged to read 60 books this year. I’m currently as of this list 2 books behind.
8. A large part of therapy recently has been dealing with my fears of dating and intimacy. It’s been a huge source of fear and anxiety for me.
9. I’ve been trying to reduce the amount of things in my life. One day I hope to have what is known as a capsule wardrobe. (Though books will always be my biggest “problem.”) Also, I have started preferring, in lieu of gifts, just spending time with people.
10. I went to the west coast (California) for the first time last year for my 25th birthday where I got to see the redwood trees in Muir Woods. It was something that has always been on my bucket list. (Plus I got to put my hand in the freezing cold Pacific ocean!)
11. I’m a Slytherin and proud of it.
12. I keep forgetting my age. Whenever I’m asked how old I am, I always immediately want to say 22.
13. I’ve been taking circus classes since January and am slowly becoming more and more obsessed. While I have no aspirations to do it professionally or even perform as an amateur, I love the little victories of learning a new move or making progress on one that is particularly troublesome. (The first time I did the bicycle climb three times in a row without falling a part, I couldn’t help but squeal in excitement.)
14. I have accidentally punched myself in the face when trying to go into arabesque (aerial silks move). I am extremely amused by this.
15. It’s been over five years since all of my books have been in the same place. One day, I will rectify this.
16. I have a nutcracker collection.
17. One of the reasons I don’t post as often as I would like is because after I posted about how swing dancing helped me through depression, my grandmother admonished me for not telling her or talking about it with my family. I couldn’t explain why sharing with the internet was more freeing and less scary than sharing with my family. So I just decided to not share anything that might force a conversation like that again.
18. There’s a really good chance I will have to have a conversation about 17. I’m really not looking forward to it.
19. I miss being free and open with my physical affection.
20. I am scared to be more free and open with physical affection.
21. I hate throwing my own birthday party, but I love spending time with friends. It’s hard for me not to feel guilty of asking people for their time.
22. Time is precious to me, which is why I make a point of always arriving on time or even a bit earlier to an appointment or date.
23. I got to see Hamilton this year with most of the original cast (the only one missing was Jonathan Groff). I saw the matinee and was basically useless for the rest of the day because I desperately wanted to remember every detail and feeling.
24. One of my goals moving forward is to be better informed about what is happening.
25. My body is starting to require more care. Stretching has become a necessary part of my day, which I’m very bad about keeping (especially if I’m in a hurry).